When I saw the Red Sox were down 3-0 early, I slumped on my couch.
Beckett was wetting the bed and this was going to be a long weekend.
And then of course it went back and forth and by the time the Red Sox took the lead, I was in a restaurant with my wife and kids scarfing down sushi.
I snuck a peak at my phone and saw Papelbon had loaded the bases with 1 out in the 9th and had only a one run lead.
I shut my phone off. In my head, I threw this in the loss column. I did some teeth grinding and went back to being a decent father.
So imagine my glee when I checked the scores and saw that Paps did a Houdini act and squeezed a win out of it.
At this point in the season, there are no style points. Wins are wins, no matter how ugly they are… and this one was ugggggly! And yet so alluring.
Kind of like Maggie Gyllenhaal.
The Sox are dodging a lot more bullets these days.
Let’s hope it spills over into September and October!
DODGED A BULLET GAMES – 21
April 17 – 10-8 win against Orioles. (Overcame 7-0 deficit.)
– 5-4 win against Yankees. (Bay homers off of Rivera in 9th to tie it.)
– 16-11 win against Yankees. (Overcame 6-0 deficit.)
– 6-5 win at Cleveland. (Overcame 5-0 deficit.)
– 4-3 win at Anaheim. (Down 3-1 in the 8th.)June 11
– 4-3 win against Yankees. (Down 3-1 in the 8th. Rallied against Sabathia.)
– 5-2 win at Philadelphia. (Overcame Ryan Howard’s 9th inning shot to win in 13)
– 6-5 win against Atlanta. (The wind turns Nick Green’s fly ball into a walk off shot)
– 1-0 win at Atlanta. (Masterson and Papelbon wiggle out of late jams.)July 1
– 6-5 win at Baltimore. (Sox score 4 in the 9th and Lugo wins in in the 11th)
– 5-4 win against Oakland. (Wind keeps Hairston’s 9th inning go ahead homer in the ballpark)
– 1-0 win against Kansas City. (Pedroia drives in the only run with 2 outs in the 8th.)
– 8-5 win against Oakland. (Ortiz tests postive then hits a 2 out 3 run go ahead homer.)
– 6-5 win at Baltimore. (Youk’s 2 run homer saves Smoltz from another bad start.)
– 6-5 win against Detroit. (Sox snap 6 game losing streak with 7th inning rally.)
– 8-4 win at Texas. (Victor Martinez hits a 2 run 2 strike 2 out double to take the lead and make up for Buchholz’s baserunning mishap.)
– 10-9 win at Toronto. (Ortiz homers and the Jays defense collapses, saving Beckett from a bad start.)August 24
– 12-8 win against White Sox. (Red Sox overcome early 4-1 lead and a bad Buchholz start.)
– 6-3 win against White Sox. (Red Sox win with 4 unanswered runs despite some sloppy defense.)
– 3-2 win against White Sox. (Wakes pitches 7 strong and Papi homers twice including a walk off)
– 6-5 win against Toronto. (Sox come back from early 3-0 hole and Paps wiggles out of a bases loaded jam in the 9th.)
TEETH GRINDER GAMES – 22
– 6-5 loss at Oakland. (Sox blow early 3-0 lead. Lose in 12)
– 9-8 loss at Cleveland. (Sox blow early 5-1 lead. Lopez drops 3rd out.)May 14
– 5-4 loss at Anaheim. (Ortiz goes 0-7 stranding 12 runners.)May 15
– 5-4 loss at Seattle. (Red Sox blow their second 4-0 lead in three days.)
– 3-2 loss at Seattle. (Red Sox strand two in the 9th. Lose in the bottom of the 9th.)
– 3-2 loss to the Mets. (Papelbon lets up a 2 out 2 run homer in the 9th to Omir Santos)
– 2-1 loss to the Marlins. (Rain washes out a tight game after 5+ innings.)
– 2-1 loss to the Braves. (Tying run on base in the 9th. Solid Penny outing wasted)June 30
– 11-10 loss at Baltimore. (The Red Sox blow a late 10-1 to the lowly Orioles.)July 3
– 7-6 loss to Seattle. (Red Sox comeback in the 8th only to lose in the 11th.)
– 3-2 loss to Seattle. (Saito walks three in the 9th as the Mariners rally to win)
– 8-6 loss to the Royals. (Bullpen blows early 4-0 lead.)
– 4-2 loss at Texas. (Beckett loses a complete game and the Yankees take over first.)
– 3-1 loss at Texas. (Sox are swept for the first time all season.)
– 9-8 loss to Oakland. (Sox blow 3 run lead in 9th. A’s rally with 2 outs in 9th and 11th.)
– 8-6 loss to Oakland. (Down 5-0 in the first, Sox comeback falls short)
– 4-2 loss in Tampa Bay. (Longoria hits 13th inning walk off with first base open.)
– 6-4 loss in Tampa Bay. (Sox gets swept in a 2 game series with the tying run at the plate).
– 2-0 loss in New York. (A-Rod’s walk off with 2 outs in the 15 ends a teeth grinding marathon.)
– 5-2 loss in New York. (4 outs from avoiding a sweep, Bard lets up back to back homers to Damon and Teixeira.)
– 2-0 loss to Detroit. (Verlander wiggles out of early and late jams.)
– 4-3 loss at Texas. (Red Sox can’t rally and fall behind the Rangers in the Wild Card race)
Down to -1. Almost at break even.
Couple that with the Rangers loss (thanks again Minnesota) and the magic number for the post season is 33.
article_url = location.href;article_title = document.title;