Admit it… when Darnell McDonald got to second base with 1 out in the bottom of the 9th, you thought the game was over and the legend of Darnell McDonald was growing.
Instead it went to the 10th, where the Orioles scored 3 and the Sox only scored 2.
You’ve got to win games like this, fellas.
The Sox could use a sweep. Yeah winning the series was nice, but the Orioles got 1/3 of their total wins of the season today.
Let’s update the tally.
DODGED A BULLET GAMES – 7
April 4 – 9-7 win against Yankees (On Opening Night, the Red Sox overcome a 5-1 Yankee lead with a game tying HR by Pedroia and a go ahead passed ball.)
April 10 – 8-3 win against Kansas City (Beckett out pitches Zack Greinke and nearly gets decapitated by a line drive.)
April 14 – 6-3 win in Minnesota. (Okajima gets Morneau to pop up with the bases loaded in the 7th and Papelbon wiggled out of a 9th inning jam.)
April 20 – 7-6 win against Texas. (Darnell McDonald introduces himself to Boston with an 8th inning game tying homer and a walk off hit in the 9th.)
April 21 – 8-7 win against Texas. (The Red Sox were down 4-0 early only to win it on Youk’s 2 out 11th inning double.)
April 23 – 4-3 win against Baltimore. (The Sox blow a 3-0 lead but win it on Adrian Beltre’s bases loaded walk.)
– 7-6 win against Baltimore. (The Red Sox score 6 in the 7th and hold off a late Baltimore comeback attempt.)
TEETH GRINDER GAMES – 6
– 6-4 loss against the Yankees. (Scutaro’s error leads to the winning run.)April 7
– 3-1 loss against the Yankees. (Sox leave the winning run on in the 9th only to lose on Granderson’s 10th inning homer)April 9
– 4-3 loss in Kansas City. (Bard coughs up the lead, denying Wakefield a win.)April 17
– 3-1 loss to Tampa Bay. (The Sox can’t score with the bases loaded and nobody out in the 11th… lost it in the 12th.)April 17
– 6-5 loss to Tampa Bay. (The Red Sox comeback falls a run short, leaving two on in the 8th)April 25
– 7-6 loss to Baltimore. (The Sox blow a 4-1 lead, leave the winning run on second in the 9th, let up 3 in the 10th and could only score 2 in the bottom of the 10th)
Down to Plus 1.
Going north of the border next week… let’s hope that means another series win
Under Dave Duncan’s guidance, Dave Stewart, a career spot starter and long reliever, became a Cy Young contender and World Series MVP.
Dennis Eckersley became a Hall of Famer.
Chris Carpenter went from a broken down and forgotten piece from Toronto to a Cy Young winner in St. Louis.
Jeff Weaver went from being the Billy Bibbit of baseball to having ice water in his veins, winning the clinching game of the World Series.
Each year a new pitcher goes to St. Louis to see if Dave Duncan can do for them what the Cocoons did for Don Ameche, Wilford Brimley and Hume Cronyn.
Joel Pinero, Ryan Franklin, Kyle Loshe, Woody Williams, Garrett Stephenson and many more all saw their careers almost instantly improve when they put on the Cardinals uniform.
Yes the same Brad Penny who did his best to torpedo the Red Sox playoff chances last year before Theo waved the white flag.
Yeah, he pitched well for the Giants down the stretch, but today he shut them down, raising his record to 3-0 with a 0.94 ERA. He pitched into the 8th today and threw at least 7 innings in each of his 4 starts.
I refuse to put him in my NL Cy Young Award conversation just now.
Seriously… how does Dave Duncan do it?
Is he just smarter?
Or does he have a magic potion?
I would accept either answer.