I’m serious. The Rangers are coming into town and do you know what happens if the A’s win on Monday?
They’ll be in first place… BY THEMSELVES… and it isn’t April.
Yeah I know that nobody will confuse this team with the Charlie O’Finley mustache gang of the mid 1970s… or the Bash Brother/Dave Stewart/Tony LaRussa A’s… or even the Moneyball A’s with the 20 game win streak in 2002…
But this team was supposed to be no good. And truth be told, they aren’t.
They are a .500 team.
But .500 means they are only ½ a game out of first!
They can go into first place in May and try to win a suddenly very winnable division.
This is the time of the year when teams are still wondering “is this better than I thought start a fluke or are we good?”
Maybe a better than expected start could mean a team is like the 2006 Tigers or the 2008 Rays… an out of nowhere pennant winner.
Or maybe they are like the Blue Jays last year, who flopped after a red hot start.
All I know is this could be one of the few highlights for the A’s this year, or it could be the beginning of a magical year.
Either way, a win would be cool
And I expect more than 10,000 at the game tomorrow.
Come on! Show up! Support your pennant contenders!
I know Don Marquez’s family will be there, but let’s see a few more wearing green and gold.
Heck, your team could be in first place by the time tomorrow ends. Savor it!
Did the Red Sox REALLY get swept by the worst team in baseball?
Did they REALLY lose two extra inning games and a slugfest?
Did they REALLY blow a 2 homer game by J. D. Drew one day, a 2 homer day by David Ortiz the next and a well pitched game by Josh Beckett today?
Did Francona REALLY not pinch run Bill Hall for Jason Varitek only to have Varitek thrown out by 90 feet trying to score from second with 2 outs and the Lobster running on contact?
It is appropriate that this disaster took place on the same weekend as the Kentucky Derby, because it is clear that this team doesn’t have the horses.
It might not even be appropriate to keep the teeth grinder/dodged bullet tally because that is taking into account how close they would get to the post season.
Right now .500 is the right goal.
To quote Steve McQueen in The Sand Pebbles, “What the hell happened?”
On with the tally
DODGED A BULLET GAMES – 10
April 4 – 9-7 win against Yankees (On Opening Night, the Red Sox overcome a 5-1 Yankee lead with a game tying HR by Pedroia and a go ahead passed ball.)
April 10 – 8-3 win against Kansas City (Beckett out pitches Zack Greinke and nearly gets decapitated by a line drive.)
April 14 – 6-3 win in Minnesota. (Okajima gets Morneau to pop up with the bases loaded in the 7th and Papelbon wiggled out of a 9th inning jam.)
April 20 – 7-6 win against Texas. (Darnell McDonald introduces himself to Boston with an 8th inning game tying homer and a walk off hit in the 9th.)
April 21 – 8-7 win against Texas. (The Red Sox were down 4-0 early only to win it on Youk’s 2 out 11th inning double.)
April 23 – 4-3 win against Baltimore. (The Sox blow a 3-0 lead but win it on Adrian Beltre’s bases loaded walk.)
April 24 – 7-6 win against Baltimore. (The Red Sox score 6 in the 7th and hold off a late Baltimore comeback attempt.)
April 26 – 13-12 win at Toronto. (The Sox blow an early 5-0 lead but hang on for dear life in a slugfest.)
April 27 – 2-1 win at Toronto. (Buchholz holds the Jays down for 8 but it takes a bases loaded walk in the 8th to go ahead.)
April 28 – 2-0 win at Toronto. (Daniel Bard wiggles out of trouble in the 8th to help Lester shut down the Blue Jays and finish the sweep.)
TEETH GRINDER GAMES – 8
– 6-4 loss against the Yankees. (Scutaro’s error leads to the winning run.)April 7
– 3-1 loss against the Yankees. (Sox leave the winning run on in the 9th only to lose on Granderson’s 10th inning homer)April 9
– 4-3 loss in Kansas City. (Bard coughs up the lead, denying Wakefield a win.)April 17
– 3-1 loss to Tampa Bay. (The Sox can’t score with the bases loaded and nobody out in the 11th… lost it in the 12th.)April 17
– 6-5 loss to Tampa Bay. (The Red Sox comeback falls a run short, leaving two on in the 8th)April 25
– 7-6 loss to Baltimore. (The Sox blow a 4-1 lead, leave the winning run on second in the 9th, let up 3 in the 10th and could only score 2 in the bottom of the 10th)April 30
– 5-4 loss in Baltimore. (Tejada ties the game with a 2 out 8th inning homer and wins it with a bloop in the 10th)May 1
– 12-9 loss in Baltimore. (Dice-K and Wakes get pounded, wasting 2 homers from Ortiz and an early 4-1 lead.)May 2
– 3-2 loss in Baltimore. (Varitek is thrown at home trying to score with 2 outs in the 8th. Sox get swept in the 10th.
+1 in the tally and 3 games under .500
If we can’t count on games against the Orioles in the win column then we are in TROUBLE