Some people are surprised that Ross Ohlendorf was able to win his arbitration hearing despite a 1-11 record for the Pirates.
But if you look at his arguments, you will see it was a no brainer that he was going to win.
– Hey, I’m a Pirate! We’re SUPPOSED to lose. And who did it better than me?
– Haven’t you heard? We’re not supposed to pay attention to a win-loss record anymore.
– Felix Hernandez lost 12 games and was given the Cy Young Award. I only lost 11. Ergo Felix Hernandez is a bigger loser than I am!
– By having the worst record in baseball, we get the #1 pick in the draft. You are welcome.
– Did you SEE my only win? It was on July 2nd against the Phillies. I threw 7 innings of shutout ball against the 2 time defending NL Champs. Let’s see YOU do that, Mr. Arbitrator!
– You know, I actually had a decent ERA in each of the last two seasons. And fans don’t pay money to see a pitcher win or lose. They just want to see a decent ERA.
– It is important to show Pirate fans that you are committed to putting the same crappy product on the field year in and year out.
– You have to factor in that I had an OPS of .220 as well.
– I played with the Yankees for two seasons, so I actually know players like Jeter and A-Rod. I can get them to sign some memorabilia for you. But that access doesn’t come cheap!
– I can’t imagine how I only went 1-11 with such a great lineup and a lock down bullpen around me!