I am a native of the Northeast who now lives in California. I have no intention of leaving California or ever living in New England again, yet I will never drop the Red Sox as my team.
In the last Sully Baseball video, I look at the strange phenomenon of Northeasterners who just can’t drop their team and how a city like Los Angeles can enable us fans with illogical loyalty.
My amazing wife Lisa co wrote the script, shot it and worked with me in the editing.
We shot outside of Sonny McLean’s in Santa Monica. The management and staff were wonderfully cooperative to us.
Enjoy the video.
The Indians are the best team in the American League right now. And if you missed the game against the second place Royals, then you missed another fun back and forth affair.
Sin Soo Choo broke it open with a 7th inning homer. Matt LaPorta is showing that the CC Sabathia trade might finally be paying dividends. Grady Sizemore’s comeback is in full swing. Jack Hannahan, he of 18 career homers going into yesterday’s game, hit 2 out last night.
And oh yeah, Justin Masterson won his 5th game.
Show up! What if THIS is the team that does what Bernie Kozar, LeBron James, Albert Belle and CC Sabathia couldn’t do?
What if THIS is the team that finally wins it?
Don’t you want to at least know their names?
OK, maybe I was getting greedy.
But after getting such great pitching performances out of Beckett, Lester, Lackey and Dice-K, I was hoping out other All Star starter from last year would find his stuff.
Alas, Clay Buchholz once again looked ordinary and against the Orioles no less!
Get that ship right, Clay. I wasn’t counting on Beckett nor Dice-K this season but I WAS counting on YOU!
Let’s update the tally.
DODGED BULLET GAMES – 5
April 8 – 9-6 win against the Yankees. (The Sox end their 6 game losing streak with a slugfest. John Lackey stinks but Phil Hughes stinks even more.)
April 10 – 4-0 win against the Yankees. (Beckett and Sabathia duel in a game that was 1-0 until the late innings.)
April 20 – 5-3 win in Oakland. (Red Sox survive a lead off homer and two bases loaded situations and facing the tying run at the plate to win their first road game.)
April 21 – 4-2 win in Anaheim. (The Red Sox stranded 15 men on base and Josh Beckett’s went 8 strong with no decision. But the Sox rallied in the 11th to win.)
April 22 – 4-3 win in Anaheim. (Peter Bourjos makes a 2 run errors and the Red Sox survive a bizarre passed ball by Jarrod Saltalamacchia that let a run scored from second.)
TEETH GRINDER GAMES – 7
April 1 – 9-5 loss in Texas. (The Sox tie Opening Day in the 8th with an Ortiz homer only to have Bard implode and the Sox let up 4 in the bottom of the 8th.)
– 3-1 loss in Cleveland. (The Sox drop their 4th straight as the bats are dead in Cleveland.)April 7
– 1-0 loss in Cleveland. (Sox blow a great Lester performance on a squeeze bunt and Darnell McDonald overrunning the bag to end the game.)April 12
– 3-2 loss to Tampa Bay. (A solid Lester performance is wasted as Kyle Farnsworth of all people shuts down the Sox.)April 15
– 7-6 loss to Toronto. (Bobby Jenks implodes with a 4 run seventh inning as the Red Sox waste Pedroia and Youkilis homers and a clutch RBI double by Scuatro.April 19
– 5-0 loss in Oakland. (Pedroia gets picke doff, the Sox bats go dead and waste a solid Lackey start.)April 26
– 4-1 loss in Baltimore. (Buchholz pitches tentatively and the Sox let Kevin Gregg of all people to close out the 9th.)
Just win the next two and get to .500.