There is a ton of baseball to watch.
Matt Cain is on the mound for the Giants.
The Blue Jays and Yankees are going at it.
The Indians are looking to continue their winning ways into May.
The Red Sox game is starting as they try to avoid a sweep by Seattle.
Phillies play the Mets later tonight.
Meanwhile my San Jose Sharks are looking to go up 2-0 in their series against the Red Wings.
And the playoff series people have been drooling for, the Heat versus my Celtics, starts today. (And that’s after Oklahoma City and Memphis square off THEIR Game 1.)
So which one am I watching?
I am off to the beach with my family.
It’s called priorities. It’s a beautiful Sunday in California.
(But if the Celtics make it back to the NBA Finals and the Sharks play for the Stanley Cup, my butt is parked on the couch.)
After the Red Sox swept 4 in Anaheim and went on the 5 game winning streak I thought “Man! The Sox are back!”
Now after losing back to back series to the Orioles and the FREAKING MARINERS AT FENWAY I am thinking “Man, the Sox that started the season 0-6 are back.”
11 men left on base?
Being shutdown by the lawfirm of Fister, Laffey and League?
A wasted good Lackey start?
Having Milton Bradley of all people bust out the big bats?
This team is a disgrace until further notice.
Let’s update the tally.
DODGED BULLET GAMES – 5
April 8 – 9-6 win against the Yankees. (The Sox end their 6 game losing streak with a slugfest. John Lackey stinks but Phil Hughes stinks even more.)
April 10 – 4-0 win against the Yankees. (Beckett and Sabathia duel in a game that was 1-0 until the late innings.)
April 20 – 5-3 win in Oakland. (Red Sox survive a lead off homer and two bases loaded situations and facing the tying run at the plate to win their first road game.)
April 21 – 4-2 win in Anaheim. (The Red Sox stranded 15 men on base and Josh Beckett’s went 8 strong with no decision. But the Sox rallied in the 11th to win.)
April 22 – 4-3 win in Anaheim. (Peter Bourjos makes a 2 run errors and the Red Sox survive a bizarre passed ball by Jarrod Saltalamacchia that let a run scored from second.)
TEETH GRINDER GAMES – 10
April 1 – 9-5 loss in Texas. (The Sox tie Opening Day in the 8th with an Ortiz homer only to have Bard implode and the Sox let up 4 in the bottom of the 8th.)
– 3-1 loss in Cleveland. (The Sox drop their 4th straight as the bats are dead in Cleveland.)April 7
– 1-0 loss in Cleveland. (Sox blow a great Lester performance on a squeeze bunt and Darnell McDonald overrunning the bag to end the game.)April 12
– 3-2 loss to Tampa Bay. (A solid Lester performance is wasted as Kyle Farnsworth of all people shuts down the Sox.)April 15
– 7-6 loss to Toronto. (Bobby Jenks implodes with a 4 run seventh inning as the Red Sox waste Pedroia and Youkilis homers and a clutch RBI double by Scuatro.April 19
– 5-0 loss in Oakland. (Pedroia gets picke doff, the Sox bats go dead and waste a solid Lackey start.)April 26
– 4-1 loss in Baltimore. (Buchholz pitches tentatively and the Sox let Kevin Gregg of all people to close out the 9th.)April 27
– 5-4 loss in Baltimore. (The Sox tie the game with a 3 run 8th only to have Bard lose it in the bottom of the 8th.)April 29
– 5-4 loss to Mariners. (Bobby Jenks blows a 7th inning lead, wasting 2 Mike Cameron homers.)April 30
– 2-0 loss to Mariners. (The Sox strand 11 runnerss and let Milton Bradley double home the go ahead run.)
How can May be worse?