It is time for The Sunday Request on The Sully Baseball Daily Podcast.
Worst $10 million Yankees EVER spent? Are you kidding me? I doubt it ranks as the worst money they would spend THIS YEAR!
Friend of the podcast Ritch Duncan asked that question. I called him with my answer.
Follow Ritch Duncan on Twitter by clicking HERE.
Buy the wonderful book The Werewolf’s Guide to Life, co written by Ritch Duncan, by clicking HERE.
Andrew McCutchen, Jason Castro, Wade Miley, Hisashi Iwakuma, Charlie Blackmon, Ian Kennedy, Jake Peavy and Billy Butler all added to their totals for Who Owns Baseball?
Seriously, I get a little let down. But this is no longer THAT early in the season. They can’t hold a 5 run lead against the Angels? It is Memorial Day weekend and they are the worst team in baseball?
The same team that had home field advantage in the Division Series last year is thinking Draft Pick this year?
Even with the Indians having a little dip with their 3 game losing streak, the Twins can’t make up any ground. They are 15 games back in the loss column. That’s more than 2 weeks of games.
Seriously, if I flipped the AL Central standing upside down, you would think it was the pre season predictions!
If I said Twins in first, White Sox in second, Royals in third, Tigers in fourth and Cleveland in the cellar, the only thing that would have raised an eyebrow was putting KC in the #3 spot.
Seriously, a few more weeks of this and the Twins might have to start dealing some of their players.
I wonder if they could trade Carl Pavano back to the Yankees.
Seriously, when it was 3-0 before the Sox even came to bat, I was all ready to write a post about why the Dice-K era might be winding down.
But Carl Pavano said “I’ll see your meltdown and raise you” birthday boy Adrian Gonzalez launched one out that would have been a harmless flyball in Petco and the Sox pulled one out.
You take them when you can get them.
Let’s update the tally.
DODGED BULLET GAMES – 7
April 8 – 9-6 win against the Yankees. (The Sox end their 6 game losing streak with a slugfest. John Lackey stinks but Phil Hughes stinks even more.)
April 10 – 4-0 win against the Yankees. (Beckett and Sabathia duel in a game that was 1-0 until the late innings.)
April 20 – 5-3 win in Oakland. (Red Sox survive a lead off homer and two bases loaded situations and facing the tying run at the plate to win their first road game.)
April 21 – 4-2 win in Anaheim. (The Red Sox stranded 15 men on base and Josh Beckett’s went 8 strong with no decision. But the Sox rallied in the 11th to win.)
April 22 – 4-3 win in Anaheim. (Peter Bourjos makes a 2 run errors and the Red Sox survive a bizarre passed ball by Jarrod Saltalamacchia that let a run scored from second.)
May 1 – 3-2 win against the Mariners. (Ichiro loses a ball in the sun that turns into a 9th inning triple for Lowrie. Crawford singles him home for the win.)
May 8 – 9-5 win against the Twins. (Dice-K lets up 3 runs in the first but settles down as the Red Sox clobber Carl Pavano.)
TEETH GRINDER GAMES – 11
April 1 – 9-5 loss in Texas. (The Sox tie Opening Day in the 8th with an Ortiz homer only to have Bard implode and the Sox let up 4 in the bottom of the 8th.)
– 3-1 loss in Cleveland. (The Sox drop their 4th straight as the bats are dead in Cleveland.)April 7
– 1-0 loss in Cleveland. (Sox blow a great Lester performance on a squeeze bunt and Darnell McDonald overrunning the bag to end the game.)April 12
– 3-2 loss to Tampa Bay. (A solid Lester performance is wasted as Kyle Farnsworth of all people shuts down the Sox.)April 15
– 7-6 loss to Toronto. (Bobby Jenks implodes with a 4 run seventh inning as the Red Sox waste Pedroia and Youkilis homers and a clutch RBI double by Scuatro.April 19
– 5-0 loss in Oakland. (Pedroia gets picke doff, the Sox bats go dead and waste a solid Lackey start.)April 26
– 4-1 loss in Baltimore. (Buchholz pitches tentatively and the Sox let Kevin Gregg of all people to close out the 9th.)April 27
– 5-4 loss in Baltimore. (The Sox tie the game with a 3 run 8th only to have Bard lose it in the bottom of the 8th.)April 29
– 5-4 loss to Mariners. (Bobby Jenks blows a 7th inning lead, wasting 2 Mike Cameron homers.)April 30
– 2-0 loss to Mariners. (The Sox strand 11 runnerss and let Milton Bradley double home the go ahead run.)May 4
– 5-3 loss to Angels. (7 hours with rain delays and stranded runners. Marco Scutaro was thrown out at the plate in the 12th)
Beckett goes tomorrow to get the win he SHOULD have had if the Red Sox didn’t have that never ending rain delay last week.