Harry How/Getty Images North America
The NBA Finals are starting today. That league has learned how to market their stars in a way that baseball needs to emulate.
It is a “Name above the marquee” episode of The Sully Baseball Daily Podcast.
Jon Lester, Michael Fulmer, Alexei Ramirez, George Springer, Mookie Betts, Jacob deGrom, Brandon Belt and Matt Shoemaker all added to their totals for Who Owns Baseball yesterday.
See the updated listing of WOB on MLB Reports
Mothers Day 2011 looks like it is going to be an intense day of sports.
Now how can everything fall into place and make me feel like it was a perfect sports day?
Here’s what needs to happen:
THE RED SOX NEED TO BEAT THE TWINS...
Edge closer to .500
THE RANGERS NEED TO BEAT THE YANKEES…
Have the Red Sox inch closer to first place.
THE INDIANS TO WIN IN EXTRA INNINGS…
The Indians continuing their surprising run will help keep the upcoming Sully Baseball video relevant, but I like seeing my pre season Cy Young pick Dan Haren do well.
THE GIANTS NEED TO WIN IN WALK OFF STYLE
It seems to be the only way they know how to.
THE PIRATES NEED TO BEAT THE ASTROS
But I can’t disclose why or I will jinx it
THE CARDINALS NEED TO LOSE
Again, I can’t spill the beans why. No Pirate fan will let me say it out loud.
MARK BUEHRLE NEEDS TO THROW HIS THIRD NO HITTER
MY SAN JOSE SHARKS NEED TO WIN AND ADVANCE TO THE CONFERENCE FINALS
I want a Bruins – Sharks Cup final!
THE HAWKS NEED TO TIE THE SERIES WITH A WIN
When I care about neither team, I wat 7 games.
THE LAKERS NEED TO LOSE AND GET SWEPT
And maybe that will end the Kobe/Michael comparisons.
Let’s see how many of these will happen.
There are so many wonderful things about this Lakers collapse, I can’t pick what is the best part.
– The Lakers are a loss away from a monumental face plant and doing it because the team is imploding from within.
– The Lakers are a loss away from having Phil Jackson’s career end with a whimper. Red Auerbach’s coaching career ended with the 1966 NBA Title. See the difference?
– The Lakers are a loss away from forever ending any talk of Kobe Bryant being on the same level as Michael Jordan. Kobe is a great player. A Hall of Famer. But would Jordan be swept out of the playoffs like this?
– The Lakers are a loss on Sunday away from making last Wednesday’s 93-81 fiasco their last home game of the year. That would mean the last game Phil Jackson coached at home, the Lakers got booed by the remaining fans in Staples at the end of the game.
– The Lakers call in show on 710 ESPN are filled with fans complaining about refs calls and intense denial. Schadenfreude is fun.
– Because the Lakers are down 0-3 in the series, there is talk about how no NBA team has ever come back from that. But guess what other team they brought up? What other team came back from an 0-3 hole? I’ll give you a hint… they don’t bring up the 2010 Philadelphia Flyers.
That’s right. My 2004 Red Sox! So I get to hear about Laker misery and how they probably won’t match Red Sox heroics.
It doesn’t get any better than that!