When Dice-K put the Sox in a 5-0 hole, there was a twisted part of me that was relieved.
I thought “Well, at least there is no reason to watch this monstrosity!”
I talked to my former boss, Daniel, about an upcoming TV gig of mine. He’s a big Sox fan and he asked me “You watching the game? Papi just hit one out.”
I replied “Someday they will lower me into the ground in a box and I don’t want to spend my time on Earth watching the Sox get blown out in the Bronx.”
Driving home, I didn’t listen to the game on XM.
Pulling into my driveway, curiosity got the better of me. I checked the score. OF COURSE it was a 1 run game.
So now I am hooked. My mother in law and I are watching the game on my couch and I see Youk and Victor each launch homers to give the Sox the lead.
I do a little dance and think “Wow… this is the biggest Dodged bullet of them all.”
And then the 9th… the second the Gardner double went into left field, I thought “Either A-Rod or Teixeira is tying this game with a homer.”
And lo and behold he did.
When Marcus Thames hit the walk off shot, let’s face it… it was merciful. The Sox were losing this game… might as well lose it in 9.
When the game was over, I went up stairs where my wife was reading to my kids. I hopped onto the bed and started reading. The game didn’t even sting…
I knew it was over from the beginning.
I should have listened to my instincts.
DODGED A BULLET GAMES – 14
April 4 – 9-7 win against Yankees (On Opening Night, the Red Sox overcome a 5-1 Yankee lead with a game tying HR by Pedroia and a go ahead passed ball.)
April 10 – 8-3 win against Kansas City (Beckett out pitches Zack Greinke and nearly gets decapitated by a line drive.)
April 14 – 6-3 win in Minnesota. (Okajima gets Morneau to pop up with the bases loaded in the 7th and Papelbon wiggled out of a 9th inning jam.)
April 20 – 7-6 win against Texas. (Darnell McDonald introduces himself to Boston with an 8th inning game tying homer and a walk off hit in the 9th.)
April 21 – 8-7 win against Texas. (The Red Sox were down 4-0 early only to win it on Youk’s 2 out 11th inning double.)
April 23 – 4-3 win against Baltimore. (The Sox blow a 3-0 lead but win it on Adrian Beltre’s bases loaded walk.)
April 24 – 7-6 win against Baltimore. (The Red Sox score 6 in the 7th and hold off a late Baltimore comeback attempt.)
April 26 – 13-12 win at Toronto. (The Sox blow an early 5-0 lead but hang on for dear life in a slugfest.)
April 27 – 2-1 win at Toronto. (Buchholz holds the Jays down for 8 but it takes a bases loaded walk in the 8th to go ahead.)
April 28 – 2-0 win at Toronto. (Daniel Bard wiggles out of trouble in the 8th to help Lester shut down the Blue Jays and finish the sweep.)
May 4 – 5-1 win against the Angels. (Juan Rivera misplays Jeremy Hermedia’s 2 out flyball into a 3 run game winning double)
May 5 – 3-1 win against the Angels. (Papi and Beltre homer and the Sox hang on despite squandering many potential rallies.)
May 6 – 11-6 win against the Angels. (Dice-K puts the Red Sox in a 4-0 hole before they even bat. The Sox bats respond.)
May 10 – 7-6 win against the Blue Jays. (Sox blow an early 2-0 lead, take advantage of some errors and hang on.)
TEETH GRINDER GAMES – 12
– 6-4 loss against the Yankees. (Scutaro’s error leads to the winning run.)April 7
– 3-1 loss against the Yankees. (Sox leave the winning run on in the 9th only to lose on Granderson’s 10th inning homer)April 9
– 4-3 loss in Kansas City. (Bard coughs up the lead, denying Wakefield a win.)April 17
– 3-1 loss to Tampa Bay. (The Sox can’t score with the bases loaded and nobody out in the 11th… lost it in the 12th.)April 17
– 6-5 loss to Tampa Bay. (The Red Sox comeback falls a run short, leaving two on in the 8th)April 25
– 7-6 loss to Baltimore. (The Sox blow a 4-1 lead, leave the winning run on second in the 9th, let up 3 in the 10th and could only score 2 in the bottom of the 10th)April 30
– 5-4 loss in Baltimore. (Tejada ties the game with a 2 out 8th inning homer and wins it with a bloop in the 10th)May 1
– 12-9 loss in Baltimore. (Dice-K and Wakes get pounded, wasting 2 homers from Ortiz and an early 4-1 lead.)May 2
– 3-2 loss in Baltimore. (Varitek is thrown at home trying to score with 2 outs in the 8th. Sox get swept in the 10th.May 12
– 3-2 loss against the Blue Jays. (The Sox rally in the 9th comes up a run short and Kevin Gregg gets an ugly save.)May 15
– 7-6 loss in Detroit. (The Sox blow a 6-1 lead and lose it on a 2 out bases loaded walk in the 12th.)May 17
– 11-9 loss in New York. (The Sox come all the way back from a 5-0 first inning hole to take a 9-7 lead in the 9th… but Papelbon lets up a 2 run game tying shot to A-Rod and a 2 run walk off shot to Marcus Thames.)
It might be pointless to keep these up… but I will anyway
You must be logged in to post a comment.