Tim Wakefield last pitched for the Red Sox on July 8th when he was named to his first All Star Game and looked like the Ace of the staff. Wakefield won that day against the Oakland A’s…
The Sox were 51-33 at the end of that day… 1 game ahead of the Yankees.
They had the best record in the American League and the second best in baseball behind the Dodgers.
Since then the Red Sox are 21-20 and have fallen 6 games back of the Yankees and are scrambling for their playoff lives!
Well needless to say it was a welcome sight seeing Wakes return. But as anyone who has watched him pitch over these last 15 seasons knows, you need to hold your breath a little when he pitches.
Breathe easy Sox fans! Wakes looked awesome. 7 innings, 1 run and Victor Martinez did OK behind the plate.
But sadly Wakes is no closer to surpassing Clemens and Cy Young for the All Time Wins leader in Red Sox history. Thank YOU Ramon Ramirez for letting up a tater to Scott Podsednik of all people!
Big Papi to the rescue with his second homer… and with the Yanks up 9-2, the Sox could scrape 2 off the magic number.
All I know is I was grinding my teeth when the game was tied, so this must be yet ANOTHER dodged bullet!
DODGED A BULLET GAMES – 20
April 17 – 10-8 win against Orioles. (Overcame 7-0 deficit.)
– 5-4 win against Yankees. (Bay homers off of Rivera in 9th to tie it.)
– 16-11 win against Yankees. (Overcame 6-0 deficit.)
– 6-5 win at Cleveland. (Overcame 5-0 deficit.)
– 4-3 win at Anaheim. (Down 3-1 in the 8th.)June 11
– 4-3 win against Yankees. (Down 3-1 in the 8th. Rallied against Sabathia.)
– 5-2 win at Philadelphia. (Overcame Ryan Howard’s 9th inning shot to win in 13)
– 6-5 win against Atlanta. (The wind turns Nick Green’s fly ball into a walk off shot)
– 1-0 win at Atlanta. (Masterson and Papelbon wiggle out of late jams.)July 1
– 6-5 win at Baltimore. (Sox score 4 in the 9th and Lugo wins in in the 11th)
– 5-4 win against Oakland. (Wind keeps Hairston’s 9th inning go ahead homer in the ballpark)
– 1-0 win against Kansas City. (Pedroia drives in the only run with 2 outs in the 8th.)
– 8-5 win against Oakland. (Ortiz tests postive then hits a 2 out 3 run go ahead homer.)
– 6-5 win at Baltimore. (Youk’s 2 run homer saves Smoltz from another bad start.)
– 6-5 win against Detroit. (Sox snap 6 game losing streak with 7th inning rally.)
– 8-4 win at Texas. (Victor Martinez hits a 2 run 2 strike 2 out double to take the lead and make up for Buchholz’s baserunning mishap.)
– 10-9 win at Toronto. (Ortiz homers and the Jays defense collapses, saving Beckett from a bad start.)August 24
– 12-8 win against White Sox. (Red Sox overcome early 4-1 lead and a bad Buchholz start.)
– 6-3 win against White Sox. (Red Sox win with 4 unanswered runs despite some sloppy defense.)
– 3-2 win against White Sox. (Wakes pitches 7 strong and Papi homers twice including a walk off)
TEETH GRINDER GAMES – 22
– 6-5 loss at Oakland. (Sox blow early 3-0 lead. Lose in 12)
– 9-8 loss at Cleveland. (Sox blow early 5-1 lead. Lopez drops 3rd out.)May 14
– 5-4 loss at Anaheim. (Ortiz goes 0-7 stranding 12 runners.)May 15
– 5-4 loss at Seattle. (Red Sox blow their second 4-0 lead in three days.)
– 3-2 loss at Seattle. (Red Sox strand two in the 9th. Lose in the bottom of the 9th.)
– 3-2 loss to the Mets. (Papelbon lets up a 2 out 2 run homer in the 9th to Omir Santos)
– 2-1 loss to the Marlins. (Rain washes out a tight game after 5+ innings.)
– 2-1 loss to the Braves. (Tying run on base in the 9th. Solid Penny outing wasted)June 30
– 11-10 loss at Baltimore. (The Red Sox blow a late 10-1 to the lowly Orioles.)July 3
– 7-6 loss to Seattle. (Red Sox comeback in the 8th only to lose in the 11th.)
– 3-2 loss to Seattle. (Saito walks three in the 9th as the Mariners rally to win)
– 8-6 loss to the Royals. (Bullpen blows early 4-0 lead.)
– 4-2 loss at Texas. (Beckett loses a complete game and the Yankees take over first.)
– 3-1 loss at Texas. (Sox are swept for the first time all season.)
– 9-8 loss to Oakland. (Sox blow 3 run lead in 9th. A’s rally with 2 outs in 9th and 11th.)
– 8-6 loss to Oakland. (Down 5-0 in the first, Sox comeback falls short)
– 4-2 loss in Tampa Bay. (Longoria hits 13th inning walk off with first base open.)
– 6-4 loss in Tampa Bay. (Sox gets swept in a 2 game series with the tying run at the plate).
– 2-0 loss in New York. (A-Rod’s walk off with 2 outs in the 15 ends a teeth grinding marathon.)
– 5-2 loss in New York. (4 outs from avoiding a sweep, Bard lets up back to back homers to Damon and Teixeira.)
– 2-0 loss to Detroit. (Verlander wiggles out of early and late jams.)
– 4-3 loss at Texas. (Red Sox can’t rally and fall behind the Rangers in the Wild Card race)
-2… including three straight.
Go for the 4 game sweep tomorrow… Magic Number is 36. (35 if the Yankees hold on!)
article_url = location.href;article_title = document.title;